VERSATILE BRITISH MALE VOICE OVER ARTIST
A Professional British Male Voiceover with a Neutral Warm, Approachable & Cool Sound
"Get the benefits of an experienced voice with a studio & enhanced production skills"
As the garage to studio conversion heads towards completion, the floor is installed and I put together sound treatment panels for the production area.
Building the Sound Panels...
Before construction on the panels begins, the flooring is laid down and all remaining wiring is taken care of. A small wooden unit is created and fitted to the large box section conduit that runs between the booth and the control room. Vents were added in carefully selected locations at the top of the voice booth, which would allow air to flow with minimum impact to the level of the sound coming in and out. This would allow the air that is being brought in to escape and help avoid the substantial airlock effect when the door is closed.
The silent fan (as pictured) takes air from the control room, pushing it down the same conduit as the microphone and network cabling. Granted, it’s not the freezing aircon one may desire, but it’s enough to keep the booth safe from significant carbon dioxide build-up and keep it fresh enough to use for longer time periods. To minimise heat I have elected to keep the amount of equipment in the booth to a minimum. Should the booth become busier with external users I may well look at this element again – until then it works great! The fan unit is bluetooth enabled and controllable via an app so the air flow can be regulated in and out of the the booth.
Having seen studios being built I had had a fair idea of how I could build effective sound treatment panels. I opted to use CLS timber to build the frames which I put together floor to ceiling. I wasn’t keen on fixing the frames to the wall, so I opted to wedge the structures using the leftover Tecsound to create a dampened contact point top and bottom.
Once the frames were constructed, I backed the units with 3mm hardboard. Inside the panel next to the board I placed a layer of a dense underlay followed by a layer of 50mm Rockwool.
For the decorative covering, I decided not to go for the Cara fabric but something a little different to add a creativity feel to the room. I purchased some fabric that looked a little like “TV Static” This was added to the front, stretched around and stapled to the back.
To add further interest to the panels, LED strips lights were added to the back, placed inside diffuser strips to create a pleasing glow.
This process was replicated for the remaining side panels and finally to the back panel. All LED strip lights are app-controlled and low powered. For the corner traps, triangular sections of 50mm Rockwool were cut using a template and layered from floor to ceiling, secured in place with 2 additional frames which as with the previous panels are covered by the same fabric.
With the panels in place, I am so nearly there! Just a few style refinements to go – but for now, the studio is fully operational and looks great!
Previously – Building the VO Booth Part 2
Follow me on all the usual socials @steviecripps